*We are now welcoming applications for our Engineering Undergraduate opportunities at Cummins Turbo Technologies, Huddersfield*
The Road to Success
Cummins Turbo Technologies is a global engineering leader with a proud heritage, focused on technology development and growth for the future in markets worldwide. Cummins overall achieved $19.1 billion sales in 2015. Cummins Turbo Technologies is part of the Cummins family, providing opportunities across diverse business units worldwide. To view all job opportunities across Cummins worldwide, click on the right hand link.
What we offer
At Cummins Turbo Technologies, we recognise that having the experience of working during your university degree gives you a key insight into the practical application of your learning.
Undergraduate Summer & Year Placement eligibility: studying towards a Bachelor and/or Master of Science or equivalent degree in an Engineering or related discipline (including Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry) preferably at 2:1 level or above.
Summer Placement (June – September): 3 month placement in one of our engineering business areas
Year Placement (starting July): 12 month placement rotating across 3 business areas encompassing a mix of technology, hands-on roles, product engineering and non-engineering work.
Where could I be working?
We like our students to have a say in where they spend their rotations so you will be asked to let us know your business area preferences.
Materials Science; Service; Advanced Engineering; Aerodynamic Simulation; Structural Analysis; Engine Performance Modelling; Product Testing; Turbine & compressor wheel design; Project Management: product quality, product platform design.
Your placement will start with a comprehensive induction & training programme. To ensure you are happy throughout your time with us you will have regular reviews to discuss and share your experiences. Our engineering experts will coach & mentor you giving technical & personal feedback. The work will be challenging and give you the opportunity to deliver results whilst working in global teams on cross functional projects, adding value to our business and customers.
At Cummins Turbo Technologies we initially look to our undergraduate talent to fill our graduate positions, so our undergraduate programme is a great starting point for your career with us. At the end of your placement, you may also have the opportunity to participate in the Cummins Student Bursary Programme.
What experiences could I have?
- Apply engineering principles, practices & scientific skills through the product cycle and create engineering solutions whilst demonstrating a good understanding & application of your knowledge in an engineering discipline.
- Assist in creating design specifications considering application, cost, weight, performance, product life, manufacture, assembly and service.
- Verify design using analysis and or functional testing, interpreting results, driving decisions and assessing risk.
- Work with other engineering disciplines and cross-functional disciplines to resolve product issues.
- Evaluate customer needs and align requirements with identified customer expectations.
- Work independently using your own initiative, seeking support of team members when needed
- Be an active team member contributing towards team goals
*may vary between business areas
What skills could I gain/develop?
- Personal development in communication, prioritisation of tasks, teamwork & innovation
- Application of analytical and problem solving skills
- Project management
- Designing & delivering presentations
- Working in cross functional teams
- Interaction at local and global level (within Cummins and externally with customers)
- Delivering superior results
*may vary between business areas
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated individuals who are innovative, driven to succeed with a real passion to challenge the status quo.
How to Apply
Applications invited via: www.careers.cummins.com
- Advertising: 12th September - 25th November 2016
- Applicant short–listing: December 2016
- Assessment Centre: 30th January- 3rd February 2017
Katie Atkins, Summer Placement Student - Engineering
“The experience my placement at Cummins Turbo Technologies has offered me has been invaluable. The brilliant working environment was key to my enjoyment of the placement – everyone is eager to support each other, helping you to thrive and succeed in your role. I have been able to apply theoretical knowledge gained at university to real life problems and situations, whilst being constantly challenged. One of the stand out features for me was the level of trust and responsibility I was given over the course of the summer.”
Masud Anwar, Summer Placement Student - Engineering
“Being part of the Cummins family has enabled me to develop my professional and engineering skills. Cummins helped me become a new, better and confident person. I have truly enjoyed my placement at this prestigious company.”